Position Title: Community Communications Specialist
Number of Possible Placements Available: 2
Working Site’s Location: 2342 Dufferin Street, Toronto
The Fairbank Village Business Improvement Area represent over 150 businesses along Eglinton Avenue West, from Dufferin street to Chamberlain Avenue, and along Dufferin Street from Hunter Avenue to the CNR rail North of Schell Avenue. The BIA is dedicated to improving our midtown Toronto neighbourhood as a welcoming and safe place to live, do business and visit.
We work hard to engage the community and attract new visitors to the neighbourhood from other parts of Toronto and beyond, by promoting and showcasing our unique mix of culture and traditions. Since 2007, we have successfully completed a wide range of initiatives to attract new businesses to the area, beautify the neighbourhood, bring residents together and attracted new visitors through annual and serial events, strategic partnerships, street scaping and other innovative activities. Our priority is to build and sustain growth in the area.
To position Fairbank Village as the most vibrant business and residential hub in Toronto.
To revitalise the community through beautification and strategic events aimed at promoting local businesses, engaging residents while building a sustainable future for the area.
- Development and delivery of various communications such as our newsletter with our Membership (business and property owners) in person, by email and over the phone.
- Assist with engaging our Members in free programs and initiatives to help their business.
- Developing information and communication media about the area, our community events and our Members including blog articles, updating our website business listing, press releases, etc.
- Assisting with our free community events such as posting event listings, updating various promotional or communications materials, creating marketing content, preparing volunteer recruitment communications or letters, etc.
- Undertaking communications with various stakeholders such as politicians, the City of Toronto, suppliers, partners, etc. as requested.
- Assist with the preparation of other project materials as needed including reports, grants, project proposals, presentations, etc.
- Editing or providing recommendations for improving the BIA’s communications, marketing and engagement strategies as appropriate.
- Assist with other administrative and research tasks as needed at the direction of the Coordinator.
- Very good written and oral English communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills-friendly, patient, personable and professional.
- Good attention to detail and organizational skills.
- The ability to work independently and in a small team.
- Excellent time management and efficiency.
- Excellent computer, internet, and email skills.
- Basic Word skills.
- An interest in community events, local development or working with a diverse group of businesses and property owners.
- Experience with online tools such as Mailchimp, Canva, Social Media, Squarespace or the ability to learn new online applications.
- Basic Excel or PowerPoint would also be helpful.
- Experience in photography for events, social media or products is an asset, but not required.
- Proficiency in spoken Spanish is a bonus, but not required.