Position Title: Marketing Coordinator Student Placement Position
Number of Possible Placements Available: 1
Working Site’s Location: 1106-55 De Boers Dr, North York
The Downsview Advocate (www.downsviewadvocate.ca) is a community paper that is freely distributed to 45,000 households every month. It was started in early 2014 in the Downsview area of Toronto. Almost 70% of the residents in this area did not receive a free paper in their households before The Downsview Advocate. Local information is scarce and community news are hard to find consistently, which opened the opportunity to launch this venture. The Downsview Advocate has been operating from the sale of advertisements for over 30 months now and continues to grow from month to month.
The newspaper was started as a community social venture and has significant contributions from volunteers, but operates as a for-profit, provincially incorporated entity. The company is a sole proprietorship and is owned and managed by Janelle Brady.
- Coordinating with the Manager, the Graphic Coordinator, and Editor, the Marketing Coordinator is responsible for the development of the brand of the paper in its print and online publication.
- The Marketing Coordinator works with a team of volunteer writers and photographers to cover community events, create relationships to local stakeholders and creates content for the publication.
- Is responsible for the creation and maintenance of an “In Our Community Section” for the print and online publications.
- Is responsible for the creation of a monthly community campaign that will affect the publication in print and online.
- Being in the community and being seen is an important element of a community publication. The Marketing Coordinator attends several community events each month in order to distribute and disseminate information about the paper; oversee volunteers to go out into community to take photos at events and contribute to local coverage.
- Other duties as assigned.