Position Title: Communications and Journalist Intern
Number of Possible Placements Available: 2
Working Site’s Location: 22 Trillium Drive Aurora, Ontario
SeeWhatSheCanDo is a digital community dedicated to uniting women and their supporters around the power of sport. We empower active women with the content, community, and resources they need to be their best active selves.
We are a fun, dynamic group of seasoned entrepreneurs who are passionate about making the world a better place by breaking down barriers to participation.
Our growing athletic business ecosystem includes a diverse range of community leaders, advocacy groups, elite athletes, sport providers, and communications organizations. We work closely with companies like snapd Inc., Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment Partnership (MLSE), Fast and Female, Simcoe County/Town of Aurora, Pulse Racing, She's4Sports, Hardwood Ski & Bike, and more.
SeeWhatSheCanDo (SWSCD) is looking for a dynamic, self-starter to assist in marketing and communications efforts. This internship is an excellent opportunity to experience various aspects of marketing, communications, and sports coverage while helping to shine the spotlight on all the amazing things active women can do.
• Media coverage of various sports/activities (photography, video) including the drafting of media articles/blogs and supporting social media posts for SWSCD. Includes researching and pitching stories, conducting interviews, shooting and editing video/audio, story development, and composition.
• Research topics that matter to active women. Draft, upload, and publish articles that inspire, educate, and inform on SWSCD.
• Support the updating and maintenance of SWSCD’s social media presence, including drafting/scheduling Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube updates.
• Assist in planning, writing, and managing monthly eNewsletter
• Participate in podcast planning and distribution
• Attend weekly team meetings including preparing agenda and taking minutes
• Collaborating with staff on new ideas, directions, and venues for marketing and communications
• Self-starter who shares our passion for sport, physical activity, and community
• Firm grasp of available tools and platforms in the social media space
• Completed or working toward a college degree, preferably in a related field (e.g., English, Marketing/Communications, Journalism or Public Relations)
• Previous internship or related experience in marketing or communications is a plus
• Must be computer literate (working knowledge of word processing, PowerPoint, Excel).
• A good communicator, both written and oral
• Ability to communicate in a professional manner with press and community contacts
• Self-motivated, good organizational skills, detail-oriented, ability to prioritize, multi-task, and meet deadlines
• Enthusiasm for the mission of SeeWhatSheCanDo and the women we serve