Position Title: Communications Assistant
Number of Possible Placements Available: 2
Working Site’s Location: 765 Queen St. East, Toronto, Ontario
The Ralph Thornton Community Centre, located in a historic building in South Riverdale, provides a range of services and supports to the local community. In addition to housing the Queen/Saulter Toronto Public Library, the South Riverdale Child-Parent Centre, and providing meeting and activity space for almost 200 community groups a year, RTCC offers children’s programming, provides a public access computer and office services bank, and hosts or partners in a wide range of community events. RTCC is an agency of the City of Toronto, operated by an independent Board of Management, with a strong commitment to equity, diversity, economic and social justice. As part of that commitment, RTCC strives to provide a supportive environment for BIPOC staff, students, volunteers, and service users.
Assist the RTCC Fundraising and Marketing Committee to implement a Communications Plan derived from, and supporting, the Strategic Plan.
Responsibilities - assisting RTCC in developing communications tools that are responsive to both the constraints and opportunities presented by the COVID-19 epidemic (as a community centre whose primary function is as a 'gathering place' for community, we are working to transition our operations to a more 'socially distanced' model!)
• Assist in modifying existing, and developing new, print and social media promotional resources, including the “RTCC Update” and RTCC Annual Report.
• Assist in developing and implementing social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) promotion.
• Assist with Membership communications and strategies.
• Support RTCC staff, Committee members, and volunteers in executing key promotional and fund-raising event strategies, including:
- RTCC/Toronto Public Library/South Riverdale Child-Parent Centre Halloween Event.
- Scotiabank Toronto (Virtual) Waterfront Marathon
- Lunar New Year
- Riverside Craft Beer and Wine Festival.
- RTCC Cornerstone Event and Silent Auction.
- RTCC Annual General Meeting
• Assist in developing indicators and evaluation tools for reporting on the effectiveness of RTCC communications strategies.
• Support the continued implementation of RTCC’s new graphic image and branding in wayfinding, print, and electronic media.
Since this may be a largely 'virtual' placement, proficiency with basic social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), websites, desktop publishing (Microsoft Publisher an asset), and ideally video production and editing will be helpful. Strong written and oral communication skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team, and well developed basic employment skills will be helpful.
A knowledge of the Riverdale community, and/or familiarity with Chinese language would be assets, but are not requirements. Event planning experience would also be useful. A sense of humour (or at least an ability to tolerate really bad puns) will be helpful.