Position Title: Events & Communications Assistant
Number of Possible Placements Available: 2
Working Site’s Location: York University-Keele Campus Kaneff Tower, 5th Floor Toronto, Ontario
LaunchYU is York University's entrepreneurship unit managed by Innovation York, York University's Innovation office. LaunchYU offers multiple programs and services for entrepreneurs, including LaunchYU Consultations which offers one-on-one support for those with entrepreneurial ideas; and LaunchYU Accelerator, an interactive program to help entrepreneurs build, launch and scale their ventures. LaunchYU also offers a number of events throughout the year for the entrepreneurial and startup community.
The position will work with LaunchYU staff for event co-ordination and assist with the print, digital, and social media marketing efforts, as well as general administrative duties for the LaunchYU program.
The position offers passionate and driven students an opportunity to work with a fast-growing unit within York University and provides an opportunity for continuous learning and networking with innovators and entrepreneurs.
Event Coordination (Percentage of time: 50%)
• Work with LaunchYU staff to support events, workshops and other events
• Support and co-ordinate administrative aspects of planning and hosting events within LaunchYU, including room booking, catering, invitations, and guest list management.
• Cover live events on social media (including photography) such as live tweeting, Facebook posts, and Instagram
• Support Innovation York staff in hosting events with on-site and off-site tasks.
• Co-ordinate and support design and development of all event material and token gifts.
Marketing & Communications (Percentage of time: 50%)
• Work with Innovation York staff for assisting with the print and digital marketing efforts for the LaunchYU program and other events.
• Assist with social media, website and email marketing to promote the brand of Innovation York and LaunchYU
• Support in monitoring social media activities and developing content on channels such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and assist in greater integration between these channels thereby, increasing awareness and engagement.
• Explore and identify new ways to reach out to students, and entrepreneurs, and engage them with Innovation York.
• Support the Marketing & Events Coordinator with communications and marketing tasks
• Support the creation, design, and content development for the LaunchYU newsletter
• Have an interest in working in an entrepreneurial environment
• Be able to work in both a team environment and independently, as necessary
• Good analytical and organizational skills; exercising good judgment and initiative.
• Excellent project management skills; attending accurately to details.
• Excellent communicator and creative thinker.
• Ability to strategically use social media to increase brand awareness and engagement
• Dealing courteously and effectively with people at all levels, answering inquiries in an informative and tactful manner.
• Ability to juggle competing demands or conflicting priorities.
• Passionate and willingness to learn and grow professionally.
• Shows initiative and passion of the tasks that he/she is assigned
• Knowledge of entrepreneurial lifecycle & experience working with entrepreneurs an asset.
• Previous experience in event planning an asset
• Previous experience in print and digital marketing an asset
• Previous experience with WordPress & MailChimp an asset
• Previous experience with Adobe Creative Suite an asset