Position Title: Communications & Marketing Assistant
Number of Possible Placements Available: 3
Working Site’s Location: 2342 Dufferin Street Toronto, Ontario - may be a combination of at the office and remote work
The Fairbank Village Business Improvement Area represent over 120 businesses along Eglinton Avenue West, from Dufferin street to Chamberlain Avenue, and along Dufferin Street from Hunter Avenue to the CNR rail North of Schell Avenue. The BIA is dedicated to improving our midtown Toronto neighbourhood as a welcoming and safe place to live, do business and visit.
We work hard to engage the community and attract new visitors to the neighbourhood from other parts of Toronto and beyond, by promoting and showcasing our unique mix of culture and traditions. Since 2007, we have successfully completed a wide range of initiatives to attract new businesses to the area, beautify the neighbourhood, bring residents together and attracted new visitors through annual and serial events, strategic partnerships, streetscaping and other innovative activities. Our priority is to build and sustain growth in the area.
We have currently adjusted our operations and activities to move away from producing free community events due to COVID-19 to continue to undertake our beautification and streetscaping projects as well projects to support local businesses that are facing challenges due to being in a long-term (2021) ongoing construction zone for the new Eglinton Crosstown Subway as well as with the current global pandemic. Our activities and projects will continue to change as the situation with COVID-19 evolves and the impact on businesses changes. We also continue to look for new opportunities to support our community and businesses.
• Work closely with the Coordinator and Subcommittees to assist with various projects to support local businesses, promote the Fairbank Village community, and more.
• Development and publish various marketing content such as blog articles for our website, press releases, photography, newsletters, etc.
• Create documents, presentations, forms, proposals, and other materials as required for projects and communications.
• Conduct research on various related topics at the request of the Coordinator.
• Undertake communications with various stakeholders and our local business members.
• Complete administrative tasks as assigned by the Coordinator.
• Responsible, adaptable, friendly and excellent interpersonal skills
• Excellent English business writing and storytelling
• Excellent English oral communication skills in person, and over the phone/by video
• Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
• Creative thinking
• Intermediate Word, PowerPoint, computer, internet, Gmail, Zoom and Onedrive skills
• Having a phone and computer/internet for remote work.
While we have specific projects to complete, we also aim to tailor the learning experience as much as possible to individual areas of experience, skills and interest.
Skills or experience in ONE OR MORE of:
• Marketing, PR, Sales
• Social Media
• Photography & Editing
• Video Shooting & Editing
• Experience working with small businesses
• Project Management
• And/or other relevant areas