Position Title: Fund Development Assistant – Communications
Number of Possible Placements Available: 1
Working Site’s Location: 10 Trinity Square, Toronto
Since 1967, Distress Centres of Greater Toronto has provided 24-hour support, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to individuals in our community at risk and their most vulnerable. We are Canada’s oldest volunteer delivered crisis, emotional support and suicide prevention + intervention + postvention service agency.
Our crisis and emotional distress services are available via hotline, online chat, and text. We also offer face-to-face individual as well as group support and counselling to those who have lost a loved one to suicide or homicide and are navigating the aftermath. Distress Centres of Greater Toronto continues to expand, and our program participants & call volume increases each year.
After amalgamating with Spectra Helplines (founded 1973 in Peel), our reach and breadth of our services has now expanded to include multilingual language lines, enhanced support for isolated seniors and a transitional support program for those aged 16+.
We are very proud of our combined history of providing support to persons in distress and need. With a combined history of more than 100 years, our distress lines have been there 24/7 for anyone experiencing isolation, stress, anxiety, abuse, depression, emotional pain, mental health issues.
Distress Centres of Greater Toronto now answers more than 110,500 calls annually, places more than 64,000 calls to vulnerable seniors and youth and answers the majority of crisis calls, SMS messages and online interactions through the National Suicide Hotline via Crisis Service Canada (Canadian Suicide Prevention Service).
Working in a fast-paced environment that requires agile thinking & ability to adapt to deliver
assigned tasks within tight turnarounds.
- Contribute to the planning, execution and management of community outreach opportunities.
- Contribute to an integrated media relations strategy to enhance our visibility across all media channels.
- Report on a range of performance metrics that demonstrate the impact and effectiveness of media outputs.
- Manage public relations initiatives to grow significance of international and domestic days of action.
- Manage ad-hoc public relations needs of the organization inclusive of but not limited to: press releases, media interviews and volunteer spotlights.
- Manage and further cultivate the organization’s circle of high-profile champions and celebrity ambassadors.
- Actively seek opportunities to be endorsed by external bodies that recognize sector excellence g. SDG Awards; Annual Voluntary Sector Reporting Awards etc.
- Develop and disseminate a steady flow of digital content across identified organizational digital communication channels that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action.
- Measure, monitor and analyze metrics related to digital activities and translate data into
actionable strategy and recommendations on a monthly basis.
- Create, execute and manage social media strategies to support the organization’s activities and programs.
- Develop and maintain updated speaking points and key messages allowing the organization to comment on a range of issues that are relevant to community service, mental health and crisis services.
- Assist with the administration of Google Adwords and monitor Google Analytics to inform website modifications/optimization.
- The ability to work independently and reliably is essential.
- Plan and execute marketing communications initiatives, fundraising events and engagement activities.
- Develop and manage critical path deliverables to ensure successful outcomes.
- Assist with the creation of promotion materials and execution of website updates.
- Research potential vendors, call for quotes, secure services and provide instructions.
- Assist in the development and execution of the Social Media strategy for the organization.
- Assist in the development and execution of the Marketing Communication strategy for the organization.
- Prepare qualitative and quantitative reports to make recommendations.
- Oversee management of direct mail appeals including print shop process and mailing segmentation to specific constituencies.
- Provide direct mail analytics and identify useful trends.
Timing is everything. Because we are dealing with vulnerable individuals, if you are currently experiencing your own personal trauma or emotional difficulties, this position may not be a good fit for you at this time. If you have experienced trauma in the past, it is important that you have worked through it with insight before going on to help others.