Position Title: Communications Assistant
Number of Possible Placements Available: 1
Working Site’s Location: 2070 Victor Phillip Dahdaleh Building, Toronto
York University’s Centre for Human Rights, Equity and Inclusion (REI) promotes and builds a respectful, equitable, diverse and inclusive university community. We strive to be a leader in providing accessible, impartial, non-adversarial, and confidential programs and services that uphold human rights, facilitate equitable access to opportunities, and champion diversity and inclusion.
The Centre for Human Rights Equity and Inclusion has in 2019 embarked upon a renewed Communications Strategy that would be supported by the Communications Assistant Role through:
- Enhancing REI’s visibility across camps and increasing the relevance of REI communications to the York community through developing information and communication media (webpages, flyers, brochures, clips, etc.)
- Leveraging communications channels to position REI as a thought-leader in the area of human rights, equity and inclusion, including trends impacting post-secondary institutions.
The Communications assistant would support these and other goals through a range of activities which could include:
- Develop approaches to supporting the #YUBelong campaign’s goals through targeted and diverse social media approaches.
- Research trends across academic institutions and report on trends and lessons learned with the goal of advancing the REI’s presence in the York community.
- Support long term success through performance measurement, potentially through the use of analytical tools.
- A good understanding of human rights, equity and inclusion principles.
- Ability to succeed in a setting that embraces diversity.
- Ability to research and summarize research findings clearly.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team towards a common goal.
- Political acuity, recognizing that the REI is a pan-university organization with diverse partners across the institution.
- Proficient in both their oral and written communication;
- Punctual and professional in their approach to the work assigned;
- Willing to experiment with new approaches to communication and media.
- Previous experience developing and posting materials for a small or large organization.
- Some understanding of performance measurement principles and tools (e.g. Google Analytics), or the desire to learn independently.