Position Title: Communications and Media Assistant
Number of Possible Placements Available: 1
Working Site’s Location: 5545 Concession Road 4, Adjala-Tosorontio
Alliston & District Humane Society is a volunteer run humane society that is an affiliate of the Ontario Society for The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (OSPCA) and a member of The Canadian Federation of Humane Societies. ADHS attempts to provide shelter for stray and unwanted animals with priority given to those that have been abused and neglected. The animals in our care are housed in a 3600 square foot shelter at 5545 concession 4, near Everett, Ontario. ADHS also uses a network of foster homes for animals requiring special attention. ADHS is a no kill facility.
ADHS provides shelter and adoption services, a lost and found reporting service, wildlife service, and humane education to its communities. ADHS is also the municipal pound for the townships of Essa, Adjala- Tosorontio and Clearview, as well as providing canine control services to the township of Adjala-Tosorontio.
Dedicated volunteers make all these services possible.
Communication and Media assistant to Media and Public Relations Director. The student will provide assistance with:
- Instagram and Facebook design and promotions.
- Writing and promotion of feel good animal stories, pet of the week/month, volunteer of the month and mail chimp electronic news bulletins, as well as stories for our bi-annual newsletter.
- Event and public relations promotion including sourcing out media stories to free local listings and
television, print and digital media.
- Promotion of our 2020 Spring gala including webpage work, electronic invites and save the dates, media blitz and social media promotion.
- Possibly assist with website and social media graphic design.
- Willingness to learn new online applications such as Mailchimp and email marketing.
- Ability to write clearly and correctly, as well as research and write interesting stories about animals and animal welfare issues.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Social media savvy with an interest in analysis and improvement of social media sites including Facebook and Instagram.
- Interest in media promotion as well as graphic design, and website management
Ability to work with database software such as Word and Publisher; a passion for animals and animal welfare issues, graphic design skills or website development experience, social media expertise.
What kind of work did you do? I worked on different tasks such as assisting with writing and posting social media content, writing newsletter articles, and creating content that contributed to the organization's social events.
What was your overall experience? My experience was good, I was able to try out something new to see if I wanted to do it in the future. I'm glad I did the placement through the course since it was guided.
What skill sets did you develop throughout the process? I learned how to work remotely from home - I had to communicate with my placement solely via email and phone. I also developed writing skills for social media and the general public, which is different than writing for academic papers. The course also allowed me to connect the theories and concepts in the readings with my placement experience.
If you had to recommend this course to someone, what would you say? I'd recommend the course if you want to try something new for a few months, with the guidance of the course, to figure out if you like working in a certain role.