Degree Programs in the Department of Communication Studies
Our degree options include:
• Honours Major BA (Stand-Alone)
• Honours Double-Major BA
• Honours Major/Minor BA
• International Honours BA (iBA): Stand-alone Major, Double-Major, and Major/Minor
We do NOT offer a BA degree (90 credit degree), nor do we offer a minor.
Please note these residency and graduation requirements for each program:
◇Residency requirement: A minimum of 30 credits and at least 50% of the credits required in each major/minor must be taken at York University.
◇Graduation requirement: Students must successfully pass at least 120 credits which meet the Faculty’s degree and program requirements with a cumulative grade point average of at least 5.0. As students progress through their Honours BA degree, they must meet the minimum overall gpa, as defined by the number of credits earned— see the chart below—or they will be de-enrolled from the BA Honours degree.
|Year Level||Total Earned Credits||Minimum Cumulative
|Year 1||Less than 24 earned credits||4.00|
|Year 2||24-53 earned credits||4.25|
|Year 3||54-83 earned credits||4.80|
|Year 4||84 earned credits or greater||5.00|
*Students who began earlier than 2012 are asked to consult the department for
The 48 credits in Comn Studies must include:
• 6 credits from Comn1000 6.0
• 18 credits from: Comn2500 6.0, Comn2200 6.0, Comn2700 6.0
• 12 credits at the 3000 level in Comn
• 12 credits at the 4000 level in Comn
Students are required to take Comn1000 6.0 before other courses, but there is no requirement that you complete all Comn2xxx credits before taking Comn3xxx credits. We do require that you have 84 credits earned PRIOR to enrolling in Comn4xxx courses. The rationale for this is that we want to ensure all students in these small seminars are prepared academically to handle the upper-level material.
General Education Courses: A minimum of 21 general education credits* as follows:
*For students who began in 2014/15 and onwards (Students who started earlier are required to complete 24 credits instead)
• 6.0 credits in natural science (NATS)
• a 9.0 credit approved general education course in the social science or humanities categories
• a 6.0 credit approved general education course in the opposite category to the 9 credit course
in social science or humanities
Consult this webpage for a listing of all General Education courses:
• under “Search Courses By…”, click on General Education Courses;
• under “Session”, select the appropriate session;
• under “Faculty”, select Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies (AP)
• under “Degree”, select Bachelor of Arts – (BA)
• click on “Search Courses”
• Upper-level credits: At least 36 credits at the 3xxx-level or 4xxx-level, including at least 18 credits at the 4xxx-level (24 of these credits will be completed within the Comn major; the other 12 credits can be taken inside or outside of the major)
• Credits outside the major: Aside from general education courses, at least 18 credits must be taken outside of Comn
For more information on the required courses, visit our Required Courses page
The Honours Major in Communication Studies previously described in the Stand-Alone program may be pursued jointly with an Honours Major in the following programs:
• Any other program or department in the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies offering an Honours Major: Please visit:
• Film Studies in the Faculty of Arts, Media, Performance and Design (formerly Fine Arts Faculty)
• Kinesiology or Psychology in the Faculty of Health.
NB: Courses taken to meet Comn Studies requirements cannot also be used to meet the requirements of the other major.
• Upper-level credits: At least 36 credits at the 3xxx-level or 4xxx-level, including at least 18 credits at the 4xxx-level (normally, these credits will be completed within the combined requirements of the two majors)
• Credits outside the major: Students who are completing a double major or major/minor are deemed to have fulfilled this requirement
The Honours Major in Communication Studies previously described in the Stand-Alone program may be pursued jointly with any Honours Minor BA program offered in the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies.
• Upper-level credits: At least 36 credits at the 3xxx-level or 4xxx-level, including at least 18 credits at the 4xxx-level (these credits will normally be completed within the combined requirements of the major and the minor)
• Credits outside the major: Students who are completing a double major or major/minor are deemed to have fulfilled this requirement.
All of the above degree options are also available in the International Honours BA (iBA) program: Students can do a Stand-Alone Comn iBA, a Double-Major iBA, or a Major/Minor iBA.
The major requirements are the same for the various degree options listed above PLUS they must fulfil the following requirements:
◇Language Study Credits: At least 18 credits in a modern language offered by York University, including the Advanced I university-level course in the chosen language;
If an iBA student is fluent in a language, s/he may undergo an examination to test language proficiency by the Department of Languages, Literatures and Linguistics.
Students exempted from one or more of the language courses required for the iBA plete cultural courses related to that language instead.
◇Internationally-Oriented Credits: 9 or 12 credits outside of the student’s iBA major requirements must be deemed “internationally-oriented” (e.g., courses with “global”, “globalization,” “international” or another country as part of their title). A sample list of internationally-oriented courses was developed by the Office of the Dean, LA&PS, and can be accessed through this website:
(This is not meant as an exhaustive list, but rather a sample to support IBA enrolments)
Students enrolled in the iBA program PRIOR to 2015-16 need at least 12 credits in
Students enrolled in the iBA program from 2015-16 ONWARDS need at least 9 credits in internationally-oriented courses PLUS the following required pre-departure course (to be completed before the term abroad):
ANTH 2300 3.0 Intercultural Training Skills (should there be a scheduling conflict with a core course required for the student’s major, ANTH 2300 can be waived and replaced with an extra 3 internationally-oriented credits for a total of 12, as in the original iBA program).
◇International Exchange: All iBA students must complete at least one full term abroad as a full-time student at one of York University’s exchange partners.
• Upper-level credits: At least 36 credits at the 3xxx-level or 4xxx-level, including at least 18 credits at the 4xxx level
• Credits outside the major: For the Honours iBA, courses taken outside the major to satisfy the language requirement and/or the internationally-oriented courses requirement can also be used to satisfy the outside the major requirement
For more detailed information regarding the Honours iBA program requirements, please consult the Degree Requirements section of the Undergraduate Calendar.
An advising session with the department is strongly recommended for any student thinking of, or enrolled in, the iBA degree option – particularly when planning courses at the exchange University.